Epoxidized soybean oil
Epoxidized soybean oil (ESBO) is a bio-based plasticizer derived from soybean oil. It is produced through a chemical process called epoxidation, where soybean oil is reacted with hydrogen peroxide and an organic acid catalyst. This reaction introduces epoxy groups into the molecular structure of the oil, resulting in the formation of ESBO.
ESBO is commonly used as a plasticizer, a substance added to polymers to enhance their flexibility, durability, and processability. It serves as an alternative to traditional phthalate-based plasticizers, which have raised concerns due to their potential health and environmental impacts. ESBO offers several advantages, including its non-toxic nature, high compatibility with various polymers, and good thermal and UV stability. It improves the properties of materials such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) by imparting flexibility, heat resistance, and enhanced mechanical strength. Additionally, ESBO has found applications in food packaging, adhesives, sealants, coatings, and paints.
· Plastic and Polymer Industry: ESBO is used as a plasticizer in polyvinyl chloride (PVC) products, such as flexible films, cables, wires, and synthetic leather. It improves the flexibility, thermal stability, and mechanical properties of the polymer.
· Food Packaging: ESBO is employed as a food-grade plasticizer in packaging materials to ensure the safe storage and transportation of food products.
· Adhesives and Coatings: ESBO is utilized in the formulation of adhesives and coatings to enhance their bonding strength, flexibility, and resistance to heat and moisture.
· Coatings and Paints: ESBO acts as a coalescing agent and plasticizer in water-based coatings and latex paints. It improves film formation, adhesion, and durability of the coatings.
· Other Applications: ESBO is also used in various applications such as lubricants, emulsifiers, agricultural chemicals, and as a stabilizer in other plastic formulations.
“ Epoxy soybean oil is available in different grades ”
|Bulk Density g/l||994 kg/m3|
|Oxirane Oxygen Value||6.5(± 0.1)|
|Acid value mg KOH/g||0.8(Max)|
|Water content %||0.1(Max)|
|Sp.Gr. at 27 ℃||0.94-0.99|
|R.I. at 27 ℃||1.470-1.472|
|Flash point ℃||≥ 280|